The Department of Mechanical Engineering came into existence in the year 1995, the year of inception of the college. It is a major and pioneer Department of the college, imparting instructions leading to the Bachelors degree in Mechanical Engineering and Masters degree in CAD/CAM. The Department offers Ph.D. courses also. The program was approved by AICTE and affiliated to Anna University with an intake of 240 students.The Programme was accredited by National Board of Accreditation (NBA), New Delhi in the year 2006 and reaccredited in the year 2011. The Department was accredited in the year 2015 for 2 years under Tier-I Washington Accord.
The Department has crowned itself with the glory by achieving remarkable success in academic, co-curricular and research activities. The Department has been keeping abreast of the latest advancement by providing sophisticated modern equipments in various laboratories and training the students in the latest technologies in the field of Mechanical Engineering. The vision of the Department is "To promote excellence in education and research in mechanical engineering for the benefits of industry and society".
The Department identifies the talents of the students and inculcates in them creative thinking and problem solving capability. The Department provides an excellent learning atmosphere complemented with a team of well experienced and highly qualified faculty members. The Department has 53 faculty members in Mechanical Engineering Department among which 19 faculty members are holding doctoral degree and 18 faculty members are pursuing their Ph.D. The Department has 12 Professors, 5 Associate professors, and 36 Assistant Professors. The faculty members and students have professional membership in SAE, IE, ISHRAE and IWS.
Department of Mechanical Engineering is recognized as Centre of Research by Anna University in the year 2007. The Department is blessed with faculty who have made significant contribution towards knowledge in the form of publications in reputed National and International Journals. The Department has two research laboratories, centre for material research and centre for energy research with major equipment to promote the research activities among students and faculty members. The Department believes in the phrase,
“If you train hard, you’ll not only be hard; you’ll be hard to beat.”– Hershel Walker.
👉🏿Lab Visit (LV)
👉🏿Industrial Visit (IV)
👉🏿Flipped Classroom (FC)
👉🏿Z-A Technique (Z-A)
👉🏿Mind Mapping (MM)
👉🏿Mini Project (MP)
👉🏿Project Based Learning (PBL)
👉🏿TCase Study (CS))
👉🏿Active Co-operative Learning (ACL)
👉🏿Role Play (RP)
👉🏿Model Based Learning (MBL)
👉🏿Moodle Quiz (MQ)
👉🏿NPTEL Video (NPTEL)
👉🏿Animated Video (AV) and Online Quiz
Department of Mechanical Engineering is recognized as a Research Centre by Anna University, Chennai. There are totally nineteen doctorates and sixteen research supervisors are in the department. Through the department research centre, eleven research scholars have received their Ph.D and fourty seven research scholars are pursuing their Ph.D. During the assessment years, seven faculty members of the department have completed their Ph.D and fifteen faculty members are pursuing their Ph.D. Faculty members have published quality publications in Scopus indexed and SCI Journals.Department Google Scholar
1. P S P Shankarganesh, R Selvabharathi ‘Influence of filler wires and high velocity oxygen fuel coating on the structural properties of Inconel 600 and Nickel alloy 800 HT dissimilar joints using autogenous cold metal transfer welding’ Materials Research Express, Volume 6, Number 10 (Aug 2019).
2. S.Paramasamy, A.Manimaran, K. Vinayagar and G.Nagaraj,, ’Cell Formation in Sheet Metal Processing Industry using Genetic Algorithm’ Caribbean Journal of Science, Volume 53, ISSUE 2 (MAY - AUG), 2019.
3. Premalatha N, ,‘Global solar radiation forecasting based on meteorological data using artificial neural network’, International Journal of Recent Scientific Research, Vol.10, Issue, 07.
4. K. Raja, V. Srinivasa Raman, R. Parthasarathi, K. Ranjitkumar & V. Mohanavel, ‘Performance Analysis of Dee-Biodiesel Blends in Diesel Engine’, International Journal of Ambient Energy, https://doi.org/10.1080/01430750.2019.1670262.
5. Karuppasamy R and Muralikannan R, ‘Damping, thermal, and mechanical analyses of polycarbonate/cerium oxide composites for structural applications’, International Polymer Processing , Volume 34, Issue 3 (Jul 2019)
6. V Yamunadevi, K Palaniradja, A Thiagarajan, P Ganeshan and K Raja,‘Characterization and dynamic mechanical analysis of woven roven glass fiber/cerium-zirconium oxide epoxy nanocomposite materials’ Materials Research Express, Volume6, Number 9 (Jul 2019).
7. K.Yoganandam , B.NagarajaGanesh, P.Ganeshan , K. Raja,‘‘Thermogravimetric analysis of Calotropis procera fibers and their influence on the thermal conductivity and flammability studies of polymer composites’, Materials Research Express, https://doi.org/10.1088/2053-1591/ab3bbe.
8.P S P Shankarganesh, R Muralikannan, R Selvabharathi and R Karuppasamy ,‘Investigation of tensile, flexural and impact properties of Neem-Indian almond hybrid fiber based epoxy composites’ Materials Research Express, Volume 6, Number 8 (May 2019).   9.R Ganapathy Srinivasan, R Selvabharathi, S Palani and R Karuppasamy ,‘Investigation of tensile, flexural and impact properties of Neem-Indian almond hybrid fiber based epoxy composites’ Materials Research Express, Volume 6, Number 8 (May 2019).
10. K.Kanimozhi, B.RajaMohmed Rabi ,‘Comparison of Flipped Classroom Approach with Traditional Classroom Environment for Undergraduate Engineering Students’. International Journal of Scientific Research and Engineering Development-– Volume 2 Issue 1, (Mar-Apr 2019).
11. Balasubramaniam Stalin, NagarajNagaprasad, VenkataramanVignesh and Manickam Ravichandran ,‘Evaluation of mechanical and thermal properties of tamarind seed filler reinforced vinyl ester composites’ Journal of Vinyl and Additive Technology, Volume 25, Issue S2 (Mar 2019)
12.A Perumal, A Azhagurajan, S Baskaran, R Prithivirajan and P Narayansamy,, ‘Statistical evaluation and performance analysis of electricaldischarge machining (EDM) characteristics of hard Ti-6Al-2Sn-4Zr-2Mo alloy’ Materials Research Express, Volume 6, Number 5 (Feb 2019)
13.Balasubramaniam Stalin, NagarajNagaprasad, VenkataramanVignesh and Manickam Ravichandran ,‘Effect of post weld heat treatment and TiAlSiN coating on the tensile strength of autogenous plasma arc welding of duplex/ super austenitic stainless steels’ Journal of Manufacturing Processes, 2019, Volume-38, pp.135-147 (Feb 2019)
14. M. Adam Khan, A. Senthil Kumar, S. ThirumalaiKumaran, M. Uthayakumar ,Tae Jo Ko ‘Effect of Tool Wear on Machining GFRP and AISI D2 Steel Using Alumina Based Ceramic Cutting Tools’ Silicon, 2019, Volume-11, Issue-1, pp.153-158 (Feb 2019)
15.R Karuppasamy and R Muralikannan,’Thermal degradation and lifetime estimation of polycarbonate–ceria composite for electronic applications’. Materials Research Express, Volume 6, Number 5 (Feb 2019)
16. P. Manimaran , A. Shadrach Jeyasekaran , Rajesh Purohit and G. Pitchayya Pillaiss,‘An Experimental and Numerical Investigation on the Mechanical Properties of Addition of Wood Flour Fillers in Red Banana Peduncle Fiber Reinforced Polyester Composites’ Journal of Natural Fibers, doi.org/10.1080/15440478.2018.1558148 (Dec 2018)
17. B.Muthu Chozha Rajan, A.Senthil Kumar, T.Sornakumar and A.Saravanakumaar,‘Impact Response and Damage Characteristics of Carbon Fibre Reinforced Aluminium Laminates (CARAL) under Low Velocity Impact Tests’, Materials Today: Proceedings 5 (Oct 2018) 20070–20077
18. B. Raja Mohamed Rabi , K. Kanimozhi,‘Study of Energy Generation Through Biogas from Landfill Waste’, Asia- Pacific Power and Energy Engineering Conference (APPEEC)- China 4
19. B. Raja Mohamed Rabi,K. Kanimozhi,‘Green Energy: Modeling and Simulation of Thermoelectric Generator for Production of Electricity from Air Conditioner Waste Heat’, International Journal of Innovative Technology and Exploring Engineering
20. B. Raja Mohamed Rabi , K. Kanimozhi,, ‘Neural Network Controlled Primitive Fault Analysis and Monitoring of Wind Turbine Gear Box’, International Journal of Recent Technology and Engineering (IJRTE) (Issue.8)
21. B. Raja Mohamed Rabi , K. Kanimozhi,, ‘Comparison of Flipped Classroom Approach with Traditional Classroom Environment for Undergraduate Engineering Students’, International Journal of Scientific Research and Engineering Development- 2
22. R. Selvabharathi,‘Influence of severe double shot peening on microstructure properties of Ti 6Al-4V and Titanium Grade2 dissimilar joints using laser beam welding’, Optics and Laser Technology(Accepted for Publication)
1. SenthilKumar A, Nayagam Lenin, Rajesh Kanna, R & Sakthipandi, K, 2018 ‘Structural, Electrical and Magnetic properties of NILA X Fe 2-X O 4 Nanoferrites’, Materials Chemistry and Physics, vol.212, pp.385-393 [Impact factor: 2.210]
2. Manimaran, P, Shadrach Jeyasekaran, A, Rajesh Purohit & Pitchayya Pillai,, G, 2018, ‘An Experimental and Numerical Investigation on the Mechanical Properties of Addition of Wood Flour Fillers in Red Banana Peduncle Fiber Reinforced Polyester Composites’, Journal of Natural Fibers, doi.org/10.1080/15440478.2018.1558148
3. Selvabharathi, R,2019, ‘Effect of post weld heat treatment and TiAlSiN coating on the tensile strength of autogenous plasma arc welding of duplex/ super austenticstainless steels’, Journal of Manufacturing Processes, vol.38, pp.135-147. [Impact factor: 2.809]
4. SenthilKumar, A , Adam Khan, M, Thirumalai Kumaran, S, Uthayakumar, ,, M & Tae Jo Ko, ‘Effect of tool wear on machining GFRP And AISI D2 steel using Alumina based Ceramic cutting tools’, Silicon doi.Org/10.1007/S126333-018-9839-7. [Impactfactor: 1.246]
5. SenthilKumar, A , Rajesh Kanna, R, Nayagam Lenin, Rajesh Kanna, R & Sakthipandi,, 2018 ‘Structural, Optical, Dielectric and Magnetic studies of Gadolinium-added MN-CU Nanoferrites’, Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, vol.453, pp.78-90 [Impact factor: 3.046].
6. Sivakumar, GD & Sudarshan, D, , A Study on Impact of Rework in a Manufacturing System Using LEAN Techniques’, Journal of Computational and Theoretical Nanoscience,vol.15(3), pp.886-894, DOI: 10.1166/jctn.2018.717. [Impact factor: 1.666]
7. Muralidharan, K, Rajashankar, M, ArunBalasubramanian, K & SenthilKumar, , Impact of fuel injection advance on combustion and gas emissions in a TBC engine fuelled with Honge Biodiesel’, Ecology, Environment and Conservation Paper, vol.24, pp.37-4.[Impact factor: 0.06]
8. Muralidharan, K, Rajashankar, M, ArunBalasubramanian, K & Senthil Kumar, D, , 2018 ‘Environmental Effects of a Single Cylinder DI Diesel Engine fuelled with non-edible Pongamia Biodiesel feedstock used for Agriculture’, International Journal of Pure and Applied Mathematics, vol.118, no.20,pp.1803-1808. [Impact factor: 0.32]
9. Ganesan, K, Kailasanathan, C, Sanjay, MR & Saravana Kumar,SS,, ‘A new assessment on mechanical properties of jute fiber mat with egg shell powder/nanoclay-reinforced polyester matrix composites’, Journal of Natural Fibers, doi.org/10.1080/15440478.2018.1500340. [Impact factor: 1.076]
10. Chandrasekar, G, Kailasanathan, C & Vasundaraa, M, , ‘Investigation on un-peened and laser shock peened dissimilar weldments of Inconel 600 and AISI 316L fabricated using activated-TIG welding technique’, Journal of Manufacturing Processes, vol.35, pp.466-478. [Impact factor: 2.809]
11. PungaiyaSudalai, & Kailasanathan, C, , 2018, ‘A Review of Surface Coating Technology to Increase the Heat Transfer’, International Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Robotics Research, vol.7, No. 5.
12. Kanimozhi K & Raja Mohamed Rabi, B, ,Design Fabrication and Control of a Hexapod Robot’, International Journal of Mechanical and Production Engineering Research and Development (IJMPERD), doi: 10.24247/ijmperdjun201856. ,
13. Kanimozhi K &Raja Mohamed Rabi, B, 2018, ‘Yoga enhanced CBT for stress reduction: A survey’, International Journal of ChemTech Research IJCRGG, ISSN: 0974-4290, ISSN (Online):2455-9555. vol.11, no.02, pp.18-22. [Impact factor: 0.34] ,
14. MuthuChozhaRajan, B, SenthilKumar, A, Sornakumar, T, Senthamaraikannan, P & Sanjay, MR, ,‘Multi Response Optimization of Fabrication Parameters of Carbon Fiber‐Reinforced Aluminium Laminates (CARAL): By Taguchi Method and Gray Relational Analysis’, Polymer Composites, DOI:10.1002/pc.24815. [Impact factor: 2.004] ,
15. SaravanaKumaar, A, SenthilKumar, A, SaravanaKumar, SS & Sanjay, MR, , ‘Impact of alkali treatment on physico-chemical, thermal, structural and tensile properties of Carica papaya bark fibers’, International Journal of Polymer Analysis and Characterization, doi:10.1080/1023666X.2018.1501931. [Impact factor: 1.333]
16. MuthuChozhaRajan, B & Senthil Kumar, A, ‘The Influence of the Thickness and Areal Density on the Mechanical Properties of Carbon Fibre Reinforced Aluminium Laminates (CARAL)’, Transactions of the Indian Institute of Metals 71(9), DOI: 10.1007/s12666-018-1348-2. [Impact Factor- 0.910],
17. Nijandhan, K, Muralikannan,R & Srisaran Venkatachalam ‘Ricinuscommunis fiber as potential reinforcement for lightweight polymer composites’, Materials Research Express 5(9):095307, doi:10.1088/2053-1591/aad617. [Impact factor: 1.151]
18. Karuppasamy, R & Muralikannan, R, ‘Damping, thermal, and mechanical analyses of polycarbonate/cerium oxide composites for structural applications’, International Polymer Processing [accepted for publication]
1. Pitchayyapillai,G, Seenikannan, P, Raja Raja, K & Kamaraj Chandrasekaran , ‘Al6061 Hybrid Metal Matrix Composite Reinforced with Alumina and Molybdenum Disulphide’, Advances in Materials Science and Engineering 2016:1-9 doi:10.1155/2016/6127624. [Impact factor: 1.372]
2. Pitchayyapillai,G, Seenikannan, P, Balasundar, P & Narayanasamy, P, ‘Effect of nano-silver on microstructure, mechanical and tribological properties of cast 6061 aluminum alloy’, Transactions of Nonferrous Metals Society of China 27(10):2137-2145 doi:10.1016/S1003-6326(17)60239-5. [Impact Factor: 1.795]
3. Vinayagar, K & Senthil Kumar, A, , 2017 ‘Multi-response optimization of crashworthiness parameters of bi-Tubular structures’, Steel and Composite Structures, vol. 23, no.1, pp.31-40, doi: https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2017.23.1.031. [Impact factor : 3.594]
4. SelvaBharathi,R, Siva Shanmugam, N, MuraliKannan,R & Arungalai Vendan, S, ,, ‘Studies on the Parametric Effects of Plasma Arc Welding of 2205 Duplex Stainless Steel’, High Temperature Materials and Processes 37(3) doi: 10.1515/htmp-2016-0087. [Impact factor-0.436]
5. Kanimozhi, K & Raja Mohamed Rabi, B, ‘Hydrogen Synthesis from Solar Reactor using Reverse Photosynthesis’, International Journal of ChemTech Research CODEN (USA): IJCRGG, ISSN: 0974-4290, ISSN(Online):2455-9555, vol.10, no.9, pp.212-219.[Impact factor: 0.34]
6. Selvabharathi, R & Muralikannan, R, ,, ‘Influence of shot peening and plasma ion nitriding on tensile strength of 2205 duplex stainless steel using A-PAW’, Materials Science and Engineering A, pp.232–240 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2017.10.068. [Impact factor: 3.414]
7. Godwin Barnabas, S, Sivakumar,GD, Satishpandian, G, ArunVasantha Geethan, K, Prasanna Kumar, S, PrithviRajeevan, P & Dheepan Kumar, P, 2017 ‘Solid waste management across the World-a review’, Eco. Env. & Cons. 23 pp. (S339-S348).[Impact factor: 0.06]
8. SaravanaKumaar, A, Senthil Kumar,A, Sornakumar, T & Arthanariesewaran,VP,‘Physicochemical properties of new cellulosic fiber extracted from Carica papaya bark’, Journal of Natural Fibers doi:10.1080/15440478.2017.1410514. [Impact factor: 1.076]
9. Sivakumar, GD & Sudarsan Deenadayalan ‘Implementation of Kanban to improve efficiency of a Manufacturing System subject to bottlenecks’, International Journal of Manufacturing Technology and Management 1(1):1DOI: 10.1504/IJMTM.2017.10010716. [Impact factor: 2.194]
10. Sivasubramanian, R, Venkatesan, G, Sivakumar, M, & Sivasankaran, R2017, ‘Simulated Annealing Algorithm for Minimizing Assembly Variation in Non-Linear Assembly’, International Journal of Manufacturing Technology and Management. (Paper accepted for publication). [Impact Factor: 0.16]
11. Vijayarangan, N, Senthil Kumar, A, Sivakumar, GD &Muralikannan, R, Design is Needed for Smart Manufacturing Curriculum to India’, Smart Innovation doi: 10.1007/978-981-10-3521-0_85 Conference: International Conference on Research into Design.
1. Kailasanathan, C & Gangadharan, T 2016 ‘Influence of bio inert Silica on Mechanical Properties and their dependence on Porosity of Nanocrystalline based Hydroxyapatite/Gelatin Composites synthesized by coprecipitation Method, Journal of the Australian Ceramic Society, vol.52, pp.52 – 61. [Impact factor: 0.587].
2. NagarajaGanesh, B & Muralikannan, R, 2016 ‘Influence of bio inert Silica on Mechanical Properties and their dependence on Porosity of Nanocrystalline based Hydroxyapatite/Gelatin Composites synthesized by coprecipitation Method, Journal of the Australian Ceramic Society, vol.52, pp.52 – 61. [Impact factor: 0.587].
3. Godwin Barnabas, S,Sivakumar,GD, SatishPandian, G, Amuthan, T, Ezhilvannan, R & Janani, B, 2016, ‘Landfill selection criteria in recycling sector using DM tools’, Journal of Ecology, Environment. & Conservation, vol.22 (4), pp.1809-1817.
4. Godwin Barnabas, S, Sivakumar,GD, Arunvasantha Geethan, K & Ambrose Edward, I, 2016, ‘Landfill selection for solid waste disposal system using fuzzy AHP approach’, Journal of Ecology, Environment. & Conservation, vol.22, pp.S337-S346.
5. Sudarsan, D & Sivakumar,GD, 2016, ‘Study and Analysis on the Impact of Various Optimization Algorithms on Multistage Adaptive Kanban Systems’, International Journal of Printing, Packaging& Allied Sciences, vol.4, no.3. [Impact factor: 0.49]
6. Muthusamy,C & Srithar, K, 2016, ‘Energy saving potential in humidification-dehumidification and desalination system’, Energy, Volume 118, 1 January 2017, Pages 729-741. [Impact factor: 4.968]
7. Vinayagar, K & Senthil Kumar, A, , 2017, ‘Crashworthiness analysis of double section bi-tubular thin-walled structures’, Journal of Thin-Walled Structures vol.112, pp.184–193. [Impact factor: 2.737]
8. Nandagopal, K, Kailasanathan, C & Chandrasekar, G, ‘Evaluation and optimization of Joining Parameters for Dissimilar Materials of Titanium and Aluminum Alloys’, Journal of Advances In Natural and Applied Sciences, vol.11(2), pp.1-6. [Impact factor: 1.68]
9. Chandrasekara, G, & Kailasanathan, C, 2017, ‘Investigation on un-peened and laser shock peened weldment of Inconel 600 fabricated by ATIG welding process’,Materials Science & Engineering A,vol.690,pp.405–417. [Impact factor: 3.414]
10. Chandrasekara, G, Kailasanathan, C, Dhanesh Kant Verma, & Nandagopal, K, ‘Optimization of Welding Parameters, Influence of Activating Flux and Investigation on the Mechanical and Metallurgical Properties of Activated TIG Weldments of AISI 316 L Stainless Steel’, Journal of Trans Indian Inst Met, DOI 10.1007/s12666-017-1046-5. [Impact factor: 0.910]
11. Nandagopal, K & Kailasanathan, C , 2016 ‘Analysis of mechanical properties and optimization of gas tungsten Arc welding (GTAW) parameters on dissimilar metal titanium (6Al4V) and aluminium 7075 by Taguchi and ANOVA techniques’, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, vol.682, pp.503-516. [Impact factor: 3.774]
12. Prithiviraj, M, Muralikannan, R, Senthamaraikannan, P & Saravanakumar, S.S, ,2016 ‘Characterization of new natural cellulosic fiber from the Perotis indica plant’, International Journal of Polymer Analysis and Characterization, vol.21, pp.669-674. [Impact factor: 1.333]
DESIGNATION : PROFESSOR
QUALIFICATION :B.E(MECH),M.E.(Industrial Engg) PhD (Industrial Engg)
EMAIL ID : email@example.com
EMAIL ID : firstname.lastname@example.org
DATE OF JOINING : 22.12.1998
Department of Mechanical Engineering was established in the year 1995 during the inception of the college and is one of the prime departments of our college and offers a 4 year B.E programme,2 year M.E programme and Ph.D. programme in Mechanical Engineering. The department of Mechanical Engineering has a dynamic team of faculty and supporting staff members. We aim to provide our students a perfect blend of intellectual and practical exposure that helps them to serve our society and address a variety of needs of the society. With a solid fundamental in the principles and practice of Mechanical Engineering, our students are well placed in leading industries as well as in the higher research level institutions of international recognition.
DESIGNATION : PROFESSOR
QUALIFICATION :B.E (MECH), M.E.(Thermal Engg), Ph.D
EMAIL ID :email@example.com
ALTERNATE EMAIL ID :firstname.lastname@example.org
DATE OF JOINING : 08.06.2006
04566 - 308001(4 Lines) Ext.No.233